You can add up to 100 custom fields for contact records. The "field type" you choose should correspond with type of data you want to store in a way that satisfies your end-goal for the data (i.e. reporting, merge field, etc.) Below, is a complete list of all field types that are available and description of each.
Changing a Custom Field Type! Please note that you cannot change an existing field type to another type. For example, if you create a radio button and then later decided you want a drop-down box instead, you will have to create a new drop-down field and remove the old one. In many cases, however, you can export data out of your old fields into a csv and then re-upload the data into the new field.
Free Form Text and Number Fields
Use the free form fields to store variable information that is custom for each person (i.e. favorite restaurant.) These types of fields are not as useful for reporting; they are most commonly used as reference fields and merge fields in emails, letters, and task templates. The number fields can also be used to calculate sums and averages when a report is exported from Infusionsoft or created with the little box o' stats home page widget.
- Text: Stores all types of data (letters, numbers, and symbols), but is limited to 255 characters. It is best used for short-answer input.
- Text Area: Stores all types of data (letters, numbers, and symbols). Allows for about 65,000 characters, which is about 9,000 English words. It is often used to capture open ended feedback from a web form (i.e. survey or contact us.)
- Whole Number: Stores whole numbers only. It will not accept letters, symbols, or decimal points.
- Decimal Number: Stores decimal numbers. It will not accept letters or symbols. The decimal will round to the hundredths.
- Percent: Stores any number, but displays it with a decimal point and a percentage (%).
- Currency: Stores any number, but displays it with a decimal point and a dollar sign ($).
Use date fields to store custom date information like birthdays, special events, renewal dates, etc. The dates can be merged into emails, letters, and task templates to personalize them and to use them as event reminders.
- Date: Stores a custom date. Use date fields to track event dates (i.e workshop, appointment, renewal), merge the date into follow-up communications, and to schedule steps within a campaign sequence. Note: The date picker calendar icon does not show up on web forms.
- Day of Week: Stores the name of a day in text format (i.e. Monday.)
- Month: Stores the name of a month in text format (i.e. January.)
- Year: Enter a year in numerical format (i.e. 2016.)
Use option list fields to create solid criteria for searching and reporting in Infusionsoft. You predefine a limited number of options for each field instead of allowing users and website visitors to enter whatever they want.
- Multi Select: Creates a list of options. The list box permits multiple selections when a user or website visitor holds down the CTRL key on their keyboard.
- Radio: Creates radio button options that all display at once. Only one option can be selected at a time.
- Drop-down: Creates a drop-down list with a limited number of options. The user must click on the list to view and select from the options. Only one option can be selected at a time. You can add up to 499 items in each drop-down list.
- User: Lists the names of your Infusionsoft users. This can be used to merge in multiple user's names into email messages (i.e. sales rep and account manager.)
Specially Formatted Contact Fields
Use the specially formatted contact to expand the number of standard contact fields.
- Email Address: Stores an additional email address with a "send email" icon. Use this field to add more than 3 email addresses to a contact record.
- Phone Number: Converts a number to U.S. phone number format - (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Use this field to add more than 5 phone numbers to a contact record.
- State: Creates a U.S. state drop-down in the contact record.
- Website: Converts a website address into a hyperlink for one-click access to the website listed. The hyperlink works with or without http://.